By: Julie Sekachev, M, Ed., LPC Associate
Do you struggle with getting organized for back to school? Does going back to school or college seem overwhelming? Do you struggle to stay organized and have a hard time finishing tasks? Keeping things organized is very important for our brains to function effectively. Clutter can create unnecessary stimuli for your brain to have to process, using up your mental energy and leaving you drained.
Being organized is a learned skill you can develop through healthy habits. The most important thing to keep in mind when organizing your environment is effort and commitment. Read below for ways to get rid of the overwhelm and organize your space.
Tips To Get Organized For Back To School
How to get started:
- First, start with a clean slate. Clean off your desk and begin to add items that you actually use. Same with your closet or any other area in your room. Having fewer things means you will enjoy the things you own. Donate, sell, or recycle items that are no longer serving you.
- When studying or doing any task that requires concentration keep your desk clean and clutter free. Keep only the assignment or task on your desk you are currently working on to stay focused and avoid feeling overwhelmed.
- Label makers are great tools that can help you organize binders or different drawers in your dorm or room. You are more likely to put an item back to its place if it has a name.
- If you need to get your homework assignments and project deadlines organized invest in a bullet journal or a time block planner. You can get a free PDF here:
https://clockify.me/blog/productivity/time-blocking-planner-templates/. Time blocking helps you decide your priorities of the day and get more accomplished vs. to do lists that do not have time bound deadlines.
Tips for a clean room:
- Make a list of things that need to be done in each room. Firstly, commit to cleaning one room at a time. When finished, close the door. then move on to the next space. Closing the door to a cleaned room will psychologically give you a sense of accomplishment and motivation for the next room.
- Set a timer and see how much you can clean in 15 minutes.
- Create a friendly competition with family members or roommates to see who can clean the fastest.
- Put in effort to put things back in their place- doing this will save you time and energy next time you are looking for missing assignment, homework, or keys.
- If you are looking for a system, check out the KonMari method which features a minimalist approach to tackle organizing by category versus room by room. Check out her method here:
Accomplish More With An Organized Space
Organization can help you gain a sense of control, accomplishment, and pride over your work and environment. Organization leads to higher efficiency in accomplishing day to day chores and projects. Furthermore, if you can create a system to stay organized, whether decluttering regularly or committing to finishing assignments the day you intended, you will actually gain more time to spend with friends or doing other things you enjoy. I want to encourage you this coming school year to make a commitment to yourself and begin! Your future self will thank you.
Begin Therapy in Katy, TX
If you are feeling overwhelmed and want help to get organized and feel less overwhelmed, the therapists at The Center at Cinco Ranch can help! To begin counseling in Katy, TX follow these three steps:
- Contact our office to set up an appointment or to get more information on stress management.
- Meet with one of our skilled therapists
- Find new ways to stay organized and productive!
Other Therapy Services We Offer
Here at The Counseling Center at Cinco Ranch we offer counseling services for people of all ages in areas including: counseling for kids, counseling for young adults, teen counseling, couples counseling, eating disorder treatment, men’s issues, women’s issues, anxiety treatment, depression therapy, family therapy, and group counseling. Our therapists strive to regularly post blogs. We provide helpful information on a variety of mental health topics. To learn more about our therapists and our counseling services, please reach out to the Counseling Center today!